May 06 2013

Jill Stein: The FEC field audit has begun

Source: JillStein.org

We are now nearly seven days into our field audit by the Federal Election Commission, and we have a clearer picture of what to expect from our auditors. Last Tuesday, the field team arrived in our Madison, Wisconsin office and began work. Each day, they go through our files and submit requests for answers about specific expenses, reports, and income. Our staff then has between 24 to 48 hours to respond to each request. We expect that this process will go on for another 4 weeks, at which point the auditors will issue a preliminary report.

It is no understatement that the Jill Stein for President team is committed to ensuring that this audit leave Jill Stein, Cheri Honkala and the Green Party in as strong a position as possible. We have made great progress in our preparations for this moment. But the reality still is that we are dealing with an audit process designed for campaigns 100 to 1000 times the size of ours. Please make a donation to help us get through this difficult period.

Jill Stein for President launched on October 24 of 2011 with an all-volunteer team. For months, the campaign had only one employee. Those were difficult months because we had not yet proven to our potential supporters – we had not yet proven to you – that we could get on the ballot, get national media exposure, and run the kind of Green campaign you could be proud of.

At first, we didn’t have a lot of money, and we certainly did not have anything close to the kind of staffing needed to run a national presidential campaign. Then, with your help, we secured public financing through the federal matching funds program. This meant that we had more money to hire staff and more money to spend on ballot access. It also meant that we would be subject to a thorough, expensive, and difficult audit.

We worked hard to make the most of the opportunity we had all created together.

Jill Stein and Cheri Honkala attracted labor, peace, student, community, farm, and democracy movement leaders to their campaign.

We won nearly half a million votes, the best showing ever for a Green Party member seeking the presidency.

We followed up the election with Green Campaign Schools in six regions of the country.

And now we are paying the piper and going through an audit that only the Greens and the Libertarians are subject to (because neither Obama nor Romney chose to participate in the clean elections program).

We need your help right now. We’ve hired experienced attorneys to help guide us through the audit process. We have a much reduced staff working full time and overtime to comply with audit requests. We continue to maintain and update this website and a tiny office. Please donate right now to keep us moving forward.

Thank you!

Ben Manski, Campaign Manager

Share